Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Funeral arrangements

I am in the middle of a most unfortunate task: arranging my mother's funeral. My father assured me that there would be very few guests but he hadn't reckoned on my mother's side of the family who only see each other en masse every decade or so at a funeral and who are arriving in droves from all over the country. He had also underestimated the enthusiasm of his former colleagues, octogenarian/nonagenarian ex-fighter pilots, Oxbridge, faithful Government servants, whose wives are all to unwell to attend, who are really looking forward to an old boys' reunion. The only widower amongst them has asked if he can bring his new girlfriend. We didn't ask her age...

3 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

My sincere condolences on the loss of your mother.

9:47 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Thank you for your kind words.

6:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deepest condolences on your very sad loss. My great uncle was in the first world war, and that camaraderie is not something we really experience today.

He was also one of the first of my Welsh family to have married an 'English Rose' from the Warwick area. So it has always made me think that we British have more to unite us than divide us.

It has also given me an understanding of how hugely important the 'English Rose' has been in ensuring the British values of honesty, courtesy, decency, kindness and fair play live on. We shall have to try and keep that flame alive, and pass it on to your children.

12:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home