Monday, February 12, 2007

Saxon Kings

Winchester Cathedral houses the bones of five Saxon Kings: Cynegils (611-43), Cenwalh (643-72), Egbert (802-39), Ethelwulf (839-58) and Canute and his Queen Emma (1016-35). They are contained in five mortuary chests together with the bones of a couple of early Bishops and the Norman King William II, also known as Rufus (1087-1100). The reason for this mixture is that Cromwell's men opened the chests and hurled the bones at the Cathedral windows to smash them and they were later recovered by locals and replaced in the surviving chests but it was impossible to tell whose bones belonged to whom. King Cynegils was converted to Christianity by St Birinus around 635. Birinus became the first Bishop of Dorchester and towards the end of his life he dedicated the first church in Winchester and his relics were brought to Winchester from Dorchester around 690, although it is believed that they were taken back to Dorchester in the thirteenth century.
Another King who's been much disturbed is Alfred the Great (858-99). He was first buried in the New Minster, the Saxon church which was on the site of the Cathedral. When William the Conqueror started to build the Cathedral, the Saxon church was moved outside the city walls to Hyde Abbey and King Alfred, his wife Lady Ealhswith and their son Edward the Elder were reburied there in 1110. The Abbey was dissolved by Henry VIII and the graves were lost although King Alfred's bones were supposedly recovered and lie in an unmarked grave in the churchyard of St. Benedict's church which is next to the ruins of the Abbey.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Just a Minute' is coming from 'the cathedral town of Winchester' !!

I didn't realise you were in Hampshire ?

6:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Righty-ho. Confession time. The appalling level of ignorance of English history is matched only by my truly abysmal knowledge of English geography.

My excuse is that growing up in Wales it didn't seem vitally important to know all that much about a foreign country. This was despite attending a 'grammar' school, as it was far enough west for abolition not to have caught up with us. [Though it did become 'comprehensive' in the lower school in my last year of doing 'A-levels'.

I know a lot about the Romans. And the Vikings. And the Welsh princes. But my knowledge of things 'Anglo-Saxon' is limited to knowing that the 'Angles' lived in 'middle england' [did they read the Daily Telegraph one wonders?] and the Saxons lived in Wessex, Sussex and Essex.

And in 1066 it all changed because of the 'Norman conquest'. Whilst it would be a weak joke to say that I never did discover who 'Norman' was, it is rather frighteningly close to the truth...

Whilst I was able to laugh at a comment in the paper recently that a pupil thought the 'Battle of Traflagar' was something that occurred in London, I really shouldn't have laughed, because the amount of detail I could have given about it would not be a vast amount.

And I feel like a candidate on 'Dumb Britain' in the 'Eye' if anyone asks me about the 'Battle of Waterloo'. I feel a bit ashamed about all this, because when I went to see the film 'Babel' the girl at the ticket office said she didn't know why it was called 'Babel'.

As I had seen the trailer, I ventured that with several languages, it was likely to be a reference to the 'Tower of Babel. 'Oh, where's that?'

Me - 'You've never heard of the Tower of Babel ?'

She 'No, but since the film is set in Mexico, Morocco and Tokyo, I presume it is in one of them'....

We really are becoming a nation of imbeciles and I don't know what the answer is. As with most problems I suspect looking in the mirror is the first place to start...

As for Welsh history, and the BAFTAs, well, that's another post, folks.

7:18 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Cathedral city, surely...?

Where did you think I was? Wessex?

8:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm..I thought Mr Parsons had said 'town' in the colloquial way one might say 'town' about Bath, but he is not one to get it wrong.

Well, I can kinda see that you aren't in Wessex [although I would bet money that those shysters at 'Wessex Water' have got their hands on your water supply]. But on my old school map of England, which I can still see you in my head, wasn't your neck of the woods inhabited by the 'Jutes' ? Having recently read 1966 and all that by Craig Brown, perhaps I should get the 'seller and yeatman' original so I can be as misinformed about ancient history as well..

8:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home