Wednesday, March 21, 2007

March hares

Back to the joy of work! There's nothing like a day shooting clays in horizontal sleet and hail to make one appreciate the merits of a cosy office life. It was Mrs Moneypenny's (of the FT Saturday magazine) annual ladies' clay shooting day and this year 70 of her closest friends were up at the crack of dawn to meet her for bacon sandwiches at Braintree Shooting School after she'd arrived at Stansted from New York. We were using 28, 20 and 12 bore guns in our efforts to fell high clays dashing away from us, low ones coming at us, impossible ones darting over the horizon, caught up in the gale force winds and ones bounding along the ground like hares. A hip flask is a must for next year. A sunny day and a fibreglass gun would have made a difference. We had fun nevertheless and raised some money for Sarah Brown's charity, PiggyBankKids and I met some interesting people including Laura Godsal who set up www.mytights.com, an essential website for busy women and Chantal Coady founder of Rococo Chocolates www.rococochocolates.com who kindly donated bars of milk chocolate flavoured with sea salt (surprisingly delicious) and dark chocolate with geranium to our going home bags. I won a John Chapman bag in the raffle and was allowed to choose one of six on a table. The one I chose was rather heavy and when I looked inside I saw it contained a pair of walking boots. I thought that these were a bonus prize until I was informed that in fact this particular bag already belonged to one of the guests. Oh dear! I took a lime green one with a pink lining instead which I thought could double up as a useful handbag on a summer flight as well as a beach bag.

4 Comments:

Blogger kinglear said...

Only 70 closest friends? Tsk tsk.Even 007.5 has more than that.
Your bag situation reminds me of a time in Oban, when an auction of odds and ends was being held outdoors, amongst which was a long line of prams. Just as the hammer was due to fall on one particularly good looking pram (£2.50 as I recall) a woman rushed forward shouting " Ma wean!" (vernacular for my child). She had thought the row of prams was a pram park and left pram and wean whilst she did the shopping.

1:54 pm  
Blogger Eurodog said...

Glad to hear you are still alive. Sounds hairy to me.

I like the ideas of party bags like at children's parties. Of course, no chocolate nor salt in children's bags. Not PC. But for adults.........

3:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Top story kinglear !

WW - last time I went clay pigeon shooting [Only Time..Ed..] was at a friend's 'Stag Weekend'. Luckily we all had to wear tweeds and cords as 'fancy dress'. I wasn't very good at the clay pigeons, but when the clays metamorphosed into 'rabbits' bouncing along the ground I improved magically..

The 'fancy dress' backfired when we went to see Bath play rugby, as most of the rest of the spectators were similarly dressed..

Sadly, the attractions of a 'John Chapman' bag are lost on me, as is the general obsession women seem to have with bags. What did make me chuckle was an anecdote in the paper where a women bragged that she had to have her bag specially ordered... 'They didn't have one in the next in Liverpool so they had to order it in from Chester'..

7:16 pm  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Glad you had a good day, Whisperer. Choc with seasalt and choc with geranium - both sound good to me! Thanks for the links, too.

8:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home