Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A la recherche de modes perdues

(Please correct my French if necessary.) It was a gloomy bank holiday. Drizzle by day, gales by night and fifty years of fashion to go through with my sister. Dior, Yves Saint Laurent, Jean Muir: Oxfam is having a good time at the moment from my mother's wardrobes. Lizard skin handbags, Rayne shoes from the 50s in mint condition, a beautiful brocade coat from the 40s, many mini skirts and incredible 70s shorts with loud tops. We laughed at how out of date some clothes had become whilst some were so dated that they were back in fashion and were earmarked for first refusal for my nephew's girlfriend. We cried remembering Christmas dresses, wedding outfits and holiday clothes. We took those that fit and those which still spoke to our hearts. I was going to give away a long black Jaeger jacket when I heard my mother screaming, "Don't give that coat away! It's in excellent condition and will be very useful in the winter!"

9 Comments:

Blogger lady macleod said...

Oh my what a trip you had down memory lane eh? It sounds wonderful and sad. Those lovely things from the forties and fifties are right in style now.

12:50 am  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

These things are sad but they do help us, in a way, as we remember the good times. It's amazing how many of these clothes are sought after now. they can look very good. It depends what you team them with.

3:35 pm  
Blogger Eurodog said...

Can I send my daughter round who is looking for a dress for her summerball.

4:40 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Please do Eurodog - there's a great choice

6:51 pm  
Blogger kinglear said...

When I go, none of my clothes will EVER have been in fashion. As I only have dfaughters, they will certainly all go to Oxfam. But something from Jaeger? Even if a little out of date, I'll just bet it looks smart and snazzy - and excellently made of some substantial material.

3:32 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very sad chore when a loved one dies. My father died nearly 5 years ago and everything he owns is still untouched. I must say those clothes sound rather fab, your mother must have been a very stylish dresser.

5:15 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

She was rather a snappy dresser although for the last 20 years of her life she went into a serious Jean Muir phase at home, not literally, unfortunately, simply navy blue practically everyday.

8:21 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would love to see the handbags! My own mom was a clothes collector. She had all the closets in a two story house and an entire basement filled with garment bags chock full of suits,coats,dresses and shoes. My brothers and I spent an entire summer sorting and giving away item after item. I did hear my mothers voice too and kept a few things, but not my winter outfits from 1962!

10:49 pm  
Blogger marymaryquitecontrary said...

Where did you say that Oxfam shop was?

1:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home