Thursday, June 28, 2007

Contemplation

Many people sit on the benches outside Winchester cathedral and take comfort in the view. Quite often they seem to sit in sombre contemplation of life. The other evening I walked into the cathedral Close and saw a rather elegant woman on one of the benches, gazing sadly at the surroundings. Two feet in front of her was a robin closely watching her face. He flew off when he saw me approaching. I greeted the stranger sitting there and asked her if she'd noticed the robin, however, she had not: she'd been lost in her own contemplation. That was a shame. I'm sure she would have been cheered had she noticed his beady, inquisitive little face.

7 Comments:

Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'm sure the robin had been sent to help her. She must have been sad indeed.

12:27 am  
Blogger Eurodog said...

Yes.
So many sad people around in such a difficult world.

4:34 am  
Blogger kinglear said...

But did you give her tuppence for the birds?

8:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Winchester, you should have said hello. I'm sure you would have been able to cheer her up more than a robin.

I am constantly amazed at my mum, who is Welsh, visiting me in England and not 'getting' the English reserve thing and talking to anyone and everyone.

In fact it can be quite embarrassing to go on a 'tea run' at a cafe and returning to find her exchanging her life story with the people on an adjacent table.

9:00 am  
Blogger marymaryquitecontrary said...

Your robin story reminded me of a picnic we shared with our little grand-daughter,then three years old. She had seen a robin in our garden that morning. Later that day,sitting at a picnic table forty miles from our home a robin landed. She looked at me ,mystified and remarked "How did he get here"

7:07 pm  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

My friend saw a robin in the church during her wedding and she was convinced it was bad luck. Sadly, she has since died, I don't think her marriage was too happy.

7:53 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Glad you're back, my Welsh friend.

Mary - that is very funny

Ellee - how sad. Do you think things would have been different had she not seen the robin?

8:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home