Thursday, August 16, 2007

Second marriages

I'm not in tomorrow as I'm going to the rehearsal of my American friend, Carter's wedding: I'm giving one of the readings. She's from San Francisco and met her English fiance at a wedding which she attended one month after she'd arrived in England for a "short stint" for work 5 years ago. I first met Carter at the San Francisco University Club in 2001. That was the beginning of many adventures, one of the first being when she was driving us out of the city (SF) one Friday evening, the roof of her soft-top down. She handed me a bottle of wine and two plastic cups which we were to enjoy en route. This course of action does not go down well with American police and we were stopped. This did not dampen Carter's spirits, however. She flashed her brilliant smile, gave the policeman a $50 bill, assured him we were not intending to enjoy the wine until we'd arrived at our destination and drove on.
The last second marriage I attended was when a couple I know re-married each other. I was asked to make an impromptu speech (why do people always pick on me?) and began with, "Some of us here have a sense of deja-vu..."
Carter's father is under strict instructions not to mention her first marriage.

2 Comments:

Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Carter sounds quite a character! That was a brilliant beginning to a speech, WW - I'm not at all surprised they "pick on you"!

7:52 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

She certainly is a character and has met her match in her second husband!

9:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home