Wednesday, October 03, 2007

From Russia with love

I'm not a keen follower of football but I do find the interest of Russians in UK clubs amusing. When Abramovich was getting divorced, people were urging his wife to buy Tottenham. Today's FT has an interview with Alisher Usmanov who owns 23% of Arsenal. He is described as "a large man with a fondness for bitter and pubs" and he's very upset by snide comments on the blog of Craig Murray, the former UK ambassador in Uzbekistan. "People talk about me as an Uzbek businessman involved in narcotics and in a shady regime. It is beyond my dignity to respond to all these allegations..." Usmanov says.
What's happening at Manchester City? Is Thaksin still in the running to buy it? What about that special man, Mourinho? Is he going there? (Excuse my ignorance)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alisher Usmanov thinks it is beneath his dignity to respond to these allegations. Er, because they are true ? Why not face them head on, rather than try and shut down the blogosphere ?

As Boris Johnson rightly said, this is Britain, not Uzbekistan.. This is a very dangerous man who should not be allowed into this country as he is 'not conducive to the public good'.

On an unrelated note, I thought this was going to be a post about the superb Lois Maxwell who has passed away recently. A superb Miss Moneypenny, she had quite a hinter land - just a real shame that she couldn't have made much more cash from the James Bond film, so she could have had a much easier time in later life.

If you haven't already read her obits I strongly recommend them. I only wish that made women that feisty these days..[sigh..]

3:04 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

You're right: she was marvellous. Funnily enough, I'm drinking with Mrs Moneypenny this evening

3:12 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WW - You never cease to amaze me !

I was going to ask whether you know a Mrs Galore, but thought better of it..

3:19 pm  
Blogger kinglear said...

Ha! Now I know where Mrs.M get sher stories from.....

4:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://iaindale.blogspot.com/

Check out details of Usmanov on Mr Dale's blog...

6:48 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Thank you for that, Anon - £10,000 per share!

7:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home