Monday, November 26, 2007

Asian spies

The BBC website has an article about Asians working for MI5 and MI6:

In the exclusive interviews - the first recorded at MI5's London headquarters in the organisation's 98-year history - the officers discussed the challenges of leading double lives.
"When out with friends or relations I tend to be quite vague about my work - I don't want the unnecessary attention," said Jayshree, who analyses intelligence from a variety of sources, including overseas.
She added that her parents knew about her role, but were "not as excited or interested" as she thought they would be.
"To the point that once my father said 'What's there to get excited about? You work for MFI', and I had to remind him that I don't work for a furniture store, I work for the security services."

6 Comments:

Blogger kinglear said...

She might be better off with MFI after all....

1:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard an interview with "a serving officer" in MI6 on radio 1 this morning, they had disguised her voice so she sounded like a cross between Julian Clary and Fred Flintstone... I laughed like a drain.

3:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often fancied being a spy, I wonder if it's too late.

5:19 pm  
Blogger Dave Cole said...

Ultimately, it's a civil service position; a good, valuable job with good prospects, fair pay, standing in society and a great pension. Add to it the interest because of the, er, subject material and it does seem like a good career.

12:53 pm  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Nice one!

8:57 pm  
Blogger Neil @ DNALogic said...

David: Problem is, if one really is a spy, as in a proper, cold-war-type agent, then no gongs, pay rises, or reward are allowed, because it would mark one out. So in the end it's just a basic pension and an MBE on retirement for being the junior development attache in Tashkent (say) - not that I'd know, obviously.

10:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home