Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Staff

Next week our new Italian girl starts, Agnese from Terni. I was surprised to read on her cv that her marital status is "nubile". My colleague assures me that this is an old-fashioned Italian word for "unmarried". Let's hope she has a better start than Alessandro of Assisi. He was very charming, had an MA in statistics and had "cucina" on his cv as one of his major interests. His first day, a Wednesday, seemed to go well. The second day, when one of the partners was over from Milan, he e-mailed saying he was unwell. We e-mailed him on the Friday to ask how he was and he replied that he was still unwell but hoped to be in on Monday. He had not yet signed a contract and we assumed the worst: that he was using our job offer as leverage to get a better job elsewhere. We were amazed when he arrived on Monday morning, apologising for the fact that he'd had terrible sinusitis. Our compliance officer gave him the contract to sign. He said that he'd look at it overnight. When I came in on Tuesday morning, his office keys were on his desk. He later e-mailed to say that he could not sign the contract and was sorry to have wasted our time.

9 Comments:

Blogger marymaryquitecontrary said...

I am curious as to why you employ so many Italians. Is it because they are "pretty" to have around or understand your buisness better?

1:04 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

It's an Italian company and I'm the only non-Italian employee!

1:25 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

I forgot to say, Mary, I hope you're not virtually hung over after your champagne

1:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wowser !! I bet it is great for any fashion tips etc. - or do they find it impossible to maintain the usual standards of Italian sartorial elegance with the ridiculous cost of living in London ?

What I want to know is, how much of this Italian influence is rubbing off on you, whether culinary, fashion, cultural or otherwise ??

p.s. another piece of useless information I hoovered up from the internet is that the song 'Robert De Niro is Waiting', was originally composed as 'Al Pacino is Waiting'!

It doesn't quite fit the notes, so they changed it, much to the pleasure of Mr de Niro...

Mind you, you could almost squeeze in 'Winchester Whisp'rer's waiting,..talking Italian..'

3:53 pm  
Blogger Jeremy Jacobs said...

"Nubile" send her round immediately!

4:14 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Anon - it is indeed good for all kinds of tips relating to things Italian. I don't make my own pasta: life's too short but I do make a lot of Italian soups and ice creams. I love Renaissance art and hope to go to the Siennese exhibition at the National Gallery at some point this month. There's also a good exhibition at the Queen's Gallery which I'd like to see. My problem is a shortage of time.

4:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It doesn't sound like this guy would have been a very reliable employee, you are best without him. Let's hope Agnese improves on his record.

Jeremy, down boy!

6:31 pm  
Blogger marymaryquitecontrary said...

I don't want to sound boring, well it is my husband who had a hangover. I never drink anything alcoholic. Thanks all the same. Now chocolate mmmm.

11:56 am  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I wonder why he wouldn't sign? Strange man. hope you have better luck with Agnese.

8:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home