Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving

Last night was Carter's annual Thanksgiving Dinner. This is her fourth in London and I was excused from carting home-made apple pies from Winchester and given the responsibility for the cheese course instead. My favourite cheese shop is Paxton & Whitfield on Jermyn Street and I bought a small Mont d'Or, a goat's cheese, some stilton, some mouth-watering gorgonzola dolce and some Coolea gouda which was delicious. Carter, meanwhile, had cooked a 16lb turkey. It was organic and she was amazed by the price: £68 versus £25 for a similar bird in the US which had also shocked her "Mom". She'd used her mother's stuffing recipe and made a yam and carrot puree, Waldorf salad, roast potatoes and cranberry sauce. One of her American friends made the apple pies this year and she'd bought a couple of (very good) pumpkin pies.
Her parents weren't there this year as they'd been over for the wedding and we laughed, remembering her Dad's speech last year which contained many heavy hints to his "sin-in-law" to do the honourable thing. Jacko finally succumbed and proposed to Carter on the Golden Gate Bridge and...their baby is due in July which is very exciting!

8 Comments:

Blogger Eurodog said...

Oddly enough I bought some Mont d'Or yesterday. By the time I got home after having done my errands, it was just ready to eat. Nice and ready to be served with a spoon.
We had Vin du Pays d'Oc with it and that was a mistake.

9:32 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Bonjour ED. Oh the decadence of eating Mont d'Or or Vacherin with a teaspoon...!

9:44 am  
Blogger Eurodog said...

Spoon or teaspoon? There lies the deree of decadence.

10:34 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

True, ED. I prefer many teaspoons to one large spoon but I don't have the vice (fortunately) of eating ice cream straight from the tub.

11:19 am  
Blogger Eurodog said...

Ah, your time will come!

12:08 pm  
Blogger marymaryquitecontrary said...

I like to eat pudding with a teaspoon,(when there are no visitors. It lasts much longer. My husband has finished and he usually says after some minutes,"are you still eating that."

2:28 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been a long time since I experienced decadence. I hope the turkey was good and lived up to its high price. Cheese is my weakness too, thank you for the recommendation.

5:08 pm  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Sounds like a wonderful meal and I would like to check out that cheese shop next time I'm in London. Like the "sin-in-law" reference and glad he took the hint!

5:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home