Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Oceans

I went on an amazing drive along The Great Ocean Road yesterday. This goes along the coast west of Melbourne towards South Australia. It was exhilarating to see the waves crashing on vast sandy beaches, empty apart from a handful of surfers. There are some astonishing rock formations, in particular the Twelve Apostles, huge pieces of cliff cut off from the rest, towering out of the sea. Only nine remain now. London Bridge (broken) is also spectacular: a flat piece of rock isolated from the cliffs with an arch underneath it. It used to have two arches and be attached to the mainland but a few years ago one of the arches collapsed to the dismay of a couple of tourists who were stranded in the sea on top of the second arch and had to be rescued by helicopter. I'll try to post some photos when I get back home. I couldn't resist the opportunity of going back to San Francisco so am flying there for one night tomorrow. My old friend Matthew and his wife Amanda are very kindly hosting a dinner party for me and I'm very much looking forward to seeing all the old crew whom I used to party with and my erstwhile landlady, the charming Sally, is treating me to lunch at her club which overlooks the Golden Gate Bridge. Should be a blast!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, sorry, I'd forgotten to tell you about the Great Ocean Road. Fab isn't it? I only went as far as Lorne and that was lovely. I'd LOVE to see some pictures. I'd so like to go back but can't ever see money allowing it to happen. All I need is a rich man who would finance my travelling ...

Safe journey.
Liz

8:56 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it all looks bonza out in Melbourne,the Worlds Third largest Greek City-but what of Toorak and South Yarra.You must have friends amongst the great Pastoral fa,ilies

2:14 pm  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

How wonderful, and do enjoy it all, as I'm sure you will.

6:45 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Hi Liz - Alan Bond's living in London so perhaps you could approach him?
Hi DB - I has a moussaka at a Greek restaurant over here but wasn't that impressed.
Greetings Ellee, Hope all's well and that your mother's fully recovered.

12:55 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now there's a thought although I was hoping for someone slightly more bronzed and athletic. Still, needs must I guess ...

L

1:15 pm  
Blogger marymaryquitecontrary said...

You seem to be having a wonderful holiday. Enjoy the rest of it and a safe journey home. Happy Christmas Marina

11:25 am  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Sorry I haven't visited recently but I am on my knees trying to cope with a new job! Anyway, sounds like you're having a wonderful time. Great post - I feel I am there and wish I was!

12:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home