Thursday, January 24, 2008

The 3 Ps

Lady Thinker, http://www.sidmouth-town.blogspot.com/ has sent me a meme about household management. As I'm chained to my desk for most of the week, I'm always short of time when it comes to domestic chores so my main tip is delegation, particularly with regard to polishing, hoovering and ironing. A laundry is very useful for sheets: I've never worked out how to iron sheets without part of them trailing on the floor, gathering dust straightaway; far simpler to collect them pristine and beautifully folded from a laundry.
Cooking and entertaining are more my forte and for these the military tip of "Prior planning and preparation prevent piss poor performance" comes in handy. Menu planning, shopping and making as much as possible in advance all mean than a dinner party is usually a four day event.
Being an office-wallah means that I don't have pets. I do, however, own a stone cat set in a crouching position with glass eyes which is an excellent mouse deterrent. I once came back to a flat where I was living and found a dead mouse six inches in front of the stone cat. It must have had a heart attack. There were mice in my house in Winchester last year and I moved the cat into the dining room. They didn't venture in there after that. (This year I sealed the hole under the oven which was their main port of entry.)
I'm sending this on to Eurodog, Sicily Scene, (both tags on my blog) Swearing Mother (http://brummiemum.blogspot.com/) and Dave Cole (http://davecole.org/blog).

10 Comments:

Blogger Eurodog said...

WW,
Thank you. I'll have to think about that one.

11:07 am  
Blogger Dave Cole said...

Meme received with thanks - response appearing shortly.

12:07 pm  
Blogger Mopsa said...

I like that cat tail. Tale.

3:44 pm  
Blogger Casdok said...

A dead mouse by a stone cat! Interesting!!

4:34 pm  
Blogger Eurodog said...

Have a look at my latest post, WW.

4:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WW - Haven't you ever been tempted to be a 'rogue trader' ? Then when the proverbial hits the fan, cut a deal with the bank to tell them everything you have done / give them access to the records etc. - in return for which they give you a 10% commission for the amount owing for helping them to manage the liability ??

It's just a thought, Winchester. I mean, 10% of £5,000m would just about see you right for handbags and have a bit left over for your retirement ?

All I ask is a 1% cut for thinking up the idea...

6:28 pm  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I'm with you on the sheet question, WW! Will do the meme soon. I meant to say on the last post thank you for the snippets of news that I wouldn't be able to find anywhere else. Auguri from Sicily.

11:00 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Hi Anon - if things get really bad, I may well do that deal with you. Interesting that Jerome K (Jerome?) didn't do it for the money. He was just being bloody-minded in a very French way! I blame the girlfriend!

9:16 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Auguri WL! What do you think - is Berlusconi coming back?

9:17 am  
Blogger Penny Pincher said...

The cat And mouse tale made me smile. I'm on my way out now to buy a stone cat. Thank you for taking part, very interesting to read your hints. If an office job means that you get sheets laundered professionally than I might go out and look for a job soon.

10:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home