Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Esoterica

I was dashing home via Romsey yesterday and didn't notice in the dark that the road was being prepared to be resurfaced. Jolt, jolt, jolt and a collision with a rocky patch finally persuaded me to slow down and then the car still didn't sound right, even though I'd left the resurfacing. It occurred to me that I might have a flat tyre. I pulled over on a dark country lane but couldn't see much so I proceeded at a slow pace until I reached the White Horse at Ampfield where I saw that indeed one of my front tyres had gone. Call me pathetic but I didn't really feel like changing the tyre in the pouring rain so I phoned the AA (who said they'd be there in an hour) and waited in the pub which had had a power cut so the coq au vin temptingly advertised on its board was not available. At rather a loose end, I was reduced to doing the FT crossword and looking periodically out of the window for the AA. I noticed a man smoking outside and he caught my eye. This man then came in and asked me if he could have a go at the crossword. Precisely at that moment, the AA man arrived so I gave the crossword to the smoker and said he could certainly finish it whilst I was sorting out my car. When I came back, he invited me for a drink which I declined. He'd done 4 clues and was stuck on "Revolting coarse tie and mysterious objects", which rather summed up the evening so far. "Esoterica" I replied. He shook my hand and I departed.

9 Comments:

Blogger Eurodog said...

Très anglais, tout ça.

9:58 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Bien sur - I'm sure the Belgians would have saved the coq au vin, come what may.

12:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WW - you turned him down ?! Now you will spend the rest of your life wondering what the ending of this film would have been !

8:22 pm  
Blogger Swearing Mother said...

"Esoterica" I replied. He shook my hand and I departed.

That sounds like it should the starting words of a really interesting book.

I want to know more!

11:14 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Hi Anon & SM - I think the rest of the film/book would have been about as interesting as today's Budget.

8:21 am  
Blogger Mopsa said...

But now we'll never know...

7:59 pm  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Glad you are OK. What a pity about the coq au vin. Loved the story about the crossword.

2:03 pm  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

What an amazing encounter. Your only description of him is as a smoker, so I guess he wasn't really attractive to you. But we can't help wondering what would have happened had you joined him for a drink. That's a great punch line, btw, it should be in a book, or a film.

8:19 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well it may have been a crap night but it was a great post :-)

I am just stunned that you knew the answer so quickly!

And I'm with you WW, the story ended just where it should have :-)

11:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home