Monday, April 27, 2009

The romance of outsourcing

Readers of this blog have sympathised in the past with my frustrations of dealing with Barclays Bank, Winchester via its outsourced telephonists somewhere in India. Today's FT reports that 80% of the staff in outsourcing companies in India is below the age of 25 and that office romance is rife, with 58% of a survey's respondents confessing to it. One company, Wipro, even has an internal prospective matrimonial website. No wonder so many of these telephonists are distracted!

3 Comments:

Blogger Eurodog said...

I had a "computer says no" incident with a call centre in India. When I started argueing my legitimate case, the accent at the other end of the phone got thicker and thicker and my arguments thinner and thinner. When I asked to speak to a more senior person, the answer was "the computer says no". This was about an insurance claim and I thought I was speaking to somebody at AXA in London.

10:29 am  
Blogger Mopsa said...

I'll do almost anything to avoid making "that call" - but even if there are email options the rubbish info you get back in unintelligible drivel is entirely useless.

11:43 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Hi Eurodog & Mopsa - it's amazing that the companies which use outsourcing seem to be completely oblivious to their customers' stress of dealing with these people. Perhaps customer complaints have declined because, as Mopsa points out, it's equally impossible to e-mail and the idea of paying for a stamp to register a complaint raises the blood pressure.

8:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home