Thursday, June 11, 2009

Christopher Purves


Yesterday was my birthday and was such a brilliant day! I was taken to Glyndebourne on Tuesday to see Falstaff with the excellent Christopher Purves wearing much extra flesh and the wonderful Marie-Nicole Lemieux playing a very amusing Mistress Quickly. One of my goddaughters lives near Lewes and her brother shares his birthday with mine so I stayed with them and we opened many presents in the morning. He was 13 and got a sparkling red and silver bicycle. He was also given (by an errant schoolfriend) a roulette set so we were at the roulette wheel by 11am before going to one of the best Chinese restaurants in Brighton (China Garden) for a dim-sum lunch. Eurodog will be pleased to hear that I was very restrained as I had a birthday dinner later at the Brasserie Blanc in Winchester. P.S. My diet has started today!

7 Comments:

Blogger kinglear said...

If you are on a diet you should use the bicycle too!

2:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dim-Sum is written as 点心(Or 點心in the Traditional script). The Mandarin pronunciation is 'dian3 xin1).

dian3 xin1 normally means 'snacks' or light refreshments.

However, when it is used as Dim Sum, in Cantonese, it mainly refers to the small Chinese dishes of food that you had. We sometimes give it a more specific name, 香港点心 (Xiang1gang3 dian3xin1 -- HK Dimsum), as opposed to other refreshments.

I hope you were brave enough to order some steamed chicken feet?

8:55 pm  
Blogger Eurodog said...

Happy birthday, WW.
I am not sure the Cornish beaches are ready for my silhouette!

6:36 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Good idea, KL!

Hi Janet - forgive me for taking so long to e-mail you: I've been rushed off my feet! I'll write this weekend. No, the chicken feet were not selected and I've never dared try them!

I'm sure Cornwall's always pleased to see you, ED

8:17 am  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Belated happy birthday wishes. I have always wanted to go to Glyndebourne and I am glad you had such a wonderful time.
A roulette table is great fun for teenage boys, my sons had one for Christmas a couple of years ago. It's a game the whole family can share.
Forget the diet, life is too short. Just enjoy ....

And many thanks for all your comments during my very busy time.

8:56 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Hi Ellee - I'm glad all your electioneering paid off.

8:30 am  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Happy birthday a bit belated! I'm glad you had such a lovely celebration.

11:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home