Friday, July 17, 2009

Drinks at the Club


My friend's son, Archie, was 18 this week and the birthday celebrations were to start with drinks at his (my friend's) Club. I thought this was rather a strange idea, bearing in mind that Archie, delightful though he is, is rather a wayward child, full of mischief and expelled by most of his schools. "It's a controlled environment," explained my friend.

I asked how the party had gone. My friend replied,"Weird – the 18 year olds couldn’t stay in the room, and instead went in and out with gay abandon. An alternative party evolved in the gardens, which was strange. Plus the girls wore “belts”, not dresses or skirts, which hadn’t been seen in the Club – EVER. Some 80-year olds must have thought it was a hookers convention from Vegas. I might need to seek election at Brooks now. Archie seemed to have fun, enjoyed the dinner afterwards, and then headed off to the Funky Buddha. We haven’t heard from him since!"

7 Comments:

Blogger Angus said...

How marvellous. Well done to Archie and his father for bringing modernity to St.James's . Did the father really believe any 18 year old can be put in a controlled environment?

I'm sure most of the members enjoyed the belts but am ntrigued that you think the 80 year old members would know what a hookers convention from Vegas would look like.

10:10 am  
Blogger Eurodog said...

Ah, yes, today's youth.

9:24 pm  
Blogger kinglear said...

Can't help but think your friend won't need to resign. I'm sure the 80 year olds would be delighted to be at a hookers convention....He'll probably be asked to have another party soon!

7:30 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Greetings, Angus - my friend has more experience than I of such things!

Oui, ED

Possibly, KL!

7:29 am  
Blogger kinglear said...

Angus - I would take issue about the 80 year olds knowing about hookers conventions. I suspect that most of them may well have been deflowered ( wrong way round I know)in a suitable establishment in Paris.... where their fathers and grandfathers before them had done the same thing.....

11:12 am  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Yes, I know what you mean about the "belts"...
Happy birthday Archie, and long may you continue to be wayward.

11:37 am  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Bravo, Archie!

11:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home