Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Schadenfreude


The massive demand for tickets to see Blair giving evidence at the Iraq War inquest reminds me of the quip by Winston Churchill when invited to address a large crowd at a political meeting. The woman who was to introduce him onto the stage asked him, "Doesn't it thrill you Mr. Churchill, to see all those people out there who came just to listen to you?"
Churchill replied, "It is very flattering, but whenever I feel this way I always remember that if instead of making a political speech I were being hanged, the crowd would be twice as big."

3 Comments:

Blogger kinglear said...

Perhaps thats what true greatness is - as realisation that one is not THAT great

9:04 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

You can't beat Socrates on this subject: "I know that I know nothing."

9:57 am  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Good old Winnie!

1:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home