Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lent


Angus (http://www.wilfanddigby.blogspot.com/) has a wonderful blog about his move from Scotland to France via Italy with his beautiful dogs, Wilf and Digby. He reminds me that today is the start of Lent, which I was thinking about as I tossed my pancakes last night. "Lent is a time for spiritual renewal" we are told, "and denying the body through fasting improves the spirit within." I am in the midst of a "dry" February and am looking forward to a glass of champagne on 1 March so shall not be giving up alcohol for Lent. I shall give up chocolate instead, mindful of my dear friend from Cambridge who did that a few years ago and then ate so many Easter eggs on the morning of Easter Day that she turned green. Are you giving up anything?

9 Comments:

Blogger Angus said...

How terribly kind of you to think of us. Doubly so for saying Wilf and Digby are beautiful. It is however cruel and unusual punishment to post a picture of chocolate on your blog ( only another 4 weeks to go before I can indulge again).

12:37 pm  
Blogger kinglear said...

I gave up chocs for lent one year. You understand, I don't necessarily eat it every day, I just like the odd bit after dinner.
After a week or so, Mrs.Lear, the (then) young ms Lears, the dogs, my work colleagues, Uncle Tom Cobbley and All BEGGED me to start eating it again. They tell me I was - in their words - a bad tempered old git.
Can't see it myself....

12:42 pm  
Blogger kinglear said...

ps. I am giving up making money. But that's forced on me....

12:42 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Hi Angus - I'll think of you on Easter Day!

Morning KL - how disappointing that your will power was overturned by female forces! Don't worry about money - how are your goats coming along?

8:34 am  
Blogger kinglear said...

The goats are fine, living in a luxury I wish I could get used to...

10:09 am  
Blogger Eurodog said...

Short answer: NO

10:46 am  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I could easily give up chocolates as I don't have a sweet tooth. Well done for you having a "dry" February, I do admire your discipline. Best month to choose as it is the shortest of the year. Your chilled glass of champagne on 1 March sounds very tempting.

8:36 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Bravo, ED!

Thank you, Ellee.

10:01 am  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

No. I've been forced to give up alcohol because it's incompatible with the medicine I have to take now, so I think that's sacrifice enough!

12:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home