Monday, April 12, 2010

Rhubarb creme brulee


American friends unexpectedly descended on me for lunch on Sunday so I made use of some of the rhubarb in the garden in Delia's creme brulee recipe. Stew the rhubarb with sugar, some chopped stem ginger and some ground ginger for about 30 minutes in the oven at 180 degrees. Cool, strain and discard the juice. Then either put in into individual dishes or one serving dish. Mix equal amounts of thick double cream and Greek yoghurt and spread over the top, completely covering the rhubarb. Sprinkle brown sugar over the cream mixture and place under a very hot grill until the sugar bubbles and begins to caramelise. Cool and serve. Not bad!

5 Comments:

Blogger Eurodog said...

Is it not a little early for rhubarb in the garden? You must have a micro climate in Winchester. I love that recipe too.

1:11 pm  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

It sounds delicious, a lovely sensation for the taste buds contrasting sharp and sweet.

I have made rhubarb lasagne layering rhubarb with lasagne and topping with custard and almonds, you might like to try that sometime.

1:44 pm  
Blogger kinglear said...

I regret, oh wondrous Chef WW,I can't stand rhubarb ( or coconut come to that) having been force fed it up to the age of 11 when mercifully I escaped to skool....
But if I was ever to touch it again, I feel certain it would have beenb prepared by your own fair hand..

4:31 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Bonjour ED - we have a great crop this year after so much rain. It's always best in April.

Hi Ellee - I'll definitely try that at some point. Presumably you cook the rhubarb & lasagne separately and then put them together with the other ingredients & bake in the oven?

We're looking forward to your visit to Winchester, KL.

7:37 am  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Wonderful! I will try it as soon as I see some rhubarb here.

10:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home