Friday, January 21, 2011

Teabag riposte


Sir, I don't know when Eleanor Roosevelt or Nancy Reagan made the comments about a woman being like a teabag, but I assure you that the underlying sentiment is much older.

My father, an old Indian civil service officer, used to tell me about an advertisement for Lipton's tea that was displayed in a grocery store in Surat in the early 1930s where he was an assistant collector. The sign said: "A man should be like his tea; his strength should come out when he's in hot water."

He said "tea" and not "teabag"; I think that ghastly thing had not been invented at that time.

Khalid Ikram,
Potomac, MD, US
Today's FT

6 Comments:

Blogger Angus said...

Is that an antique teabag ? Or one carefully prepared to go with the text ?

12:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where is the bag lady?

11:23 am  
Anonymous kinglear said...

I don't remember where I heard it, but there is a lovely monologue making fun of expressions we use in English, together with actions.I don't remember very much but " he tore up the path" consisted of ripping it to shreds, and " once again he was in hot water" had the protagonist jumping into a hot tub...

2:09 pm  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Love it.

11:15 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

The latter of course, Angus!

She's here, Anon.

Sounds amusing, KL

Salve WL

8:57 am  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Sadly, they don't make men who fulfill that criteria any more!

7:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home