Thursday, January 12, 2012

There's a Tavern in the Town


Before Christmas, my husband and I were invited to a musical soiree in which every guest was obliged to give a musical rendition of some sort. It was, of course, my dear husband who had accepted this invitation and it was not an event which inspired me with optimism and confidence as, although I greatly enjoy music, my performances have been few, largely for the benefit of any potential listeners. "Our only hope," I said after much deliberation, "is to sing a couple of those silly Latin songs bequeathed by Professor John Crook." It took use a couple of weeks, causing us much mirth to learn "London's Burning" (Rome's burning) and "In Dublin's Fair City". On the day, we bottled out of the latter and the former, largely due to its brevity I suspect, was politely received at the soiree and eclipsed by magnificent operatic arias, piano playing and guitar strumming.
One of the Latin songs on JC's list was "There's a Tavern in the Town". We didn't know the tune but my husband found it on the internet last weekend: a most amusing rendition which had us howling with laughter. Anyway, at 4am this morning, my husband's laptop suddenly burst into song.

Fare thee well, for I must leave thee,
Do not let the parting grieve thee,
And remember that the best of friends must part, must part
Adieu, adieu, kind friends adieu, adieu, adieu,
I can no longer stay with you, stay with you,
I'll hang my harp on a weeping willow tree,
And may the world go well with thee


I wouldn't say that we howled with laughter but it did make us giggle.

3 Comments:

Anonymous kinglear said...

yes why do laptops do that? Some time ago I had been playing a friend Dan Hannan's magnificent rant at Gordon Brown in the EU so called Parliament. At 4 in the morning ( despite switching it off I thought)Dan's dulcet tones blared forth in the stillness of the night. I suppose one might say " Truth will out"

9:40 am  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

I suppose it confirms the perverse sense of humour of machines, KL

10:34 am  
Blogger Eurodog said...

Ear plugs?

6:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home