Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Poem of yesterday


It's not yet May and already 8 people I know have died this year. Here's a wonderful poem from a memorial service yesterday:

High Flight
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of; wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hovering there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air;
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace.
Where never lark, or even eagle flew;
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod 
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.
John Gillespie Magee (1922-41)

4 Comments:

Blogger Angus said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:42 pm  
Blogger Angus said...

Eight ! That's too many for one year. Magee's poem will always be associated with Reagan's televised speech on the night of the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster. RR was a natural genius when it came to choosing words to reflect the national mood.

2:51 pm  
Blogger Whispering Walls said...

Thank you, Angus, I didn't know that about the poem. The majority of the deaths have been parents of friends: I suppose I've reached the time of life when one generation gives way to a new one...carpe diem.

4:34 pm  
Blogger Welshcakes Limoncello said...

That's beautiful. So sorry for your losses, WW.

8:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home